Thursday, March 16, 2006

Antidotes

I'm starting a new "series" of posts on antidotes to common errors found in books and educational materials. This was the original idea behind our Red Flag list (which, I believe needs a lot of editing and revision). The work here is my attempt to update the love2learn site and review some of the objections people bring to me about problematic materials.

Please keep in mind that correcting errors does not necessarily imply judging the intentions of the authors as many errors (like urban legends of today) are so pervasive that it's difficult to determine whose fault it is. The point isn't so much to condemn particular books as to prepare our children to understand confusing issues that come up in our modern culture.

I welcome contributions for the Antidote Series from others as well. Please include examples of errors and solid sources of information that provide the antidote.

No comments: