Thursday, August 31, 2006

Is there an alternative to Saxon Math?

A reader asks...

I'm a homeschooling mom of 7, I've used MCP Math up to 4th grade with my oldest, then moved on to Saxon Math. Now I'm looking at Math-U-See and Progress in Math by Sadlier-Oxford. Has any one used either of these series? The later one looks like it progresses at a faster rate, is that good or bad?
Appreciate any input on either of these math series.

Thanks and God Bless


Of course the simple answer is "yes", but more details would be welcome.

Comments?

3 comments:

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

I do not know if you are looking for only 4th grade and up, but I have compared and used both MCP and ABeka Math, and ABeka came clearly on top: better, bigger format, more space to work on problems, better answer key, and more challenging/interesting math. Also, each unit revolves around a social studies subject which the kids enjoy. For after 6th grade, I have recently switched to Teaching Textbooks Pre –Algebra, then Algebra 1, 2 and Geometry. These are very self-contained with CDs explaining the lessons, etc. See a recent Love2Learn review on this.

Elizabeth Yank said...

This would be a great question for the Catholic Homeschool Message Board at Ora et Labora. See the link on the side of the page.

God Bless,
Elizabeth Yank

love2learnmom said...

We've used Math-U-See a bit (though not in high school yet) and I'm very impressed with the conceptual understanding the student gains from it. (So is my husband, who's an engineer, by the way). I'm not familiar with the Sadlier-Oxford series. It seems to me that the faster rate is only good if the student is really understanding the material.