Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Greatest Threat to the Church Today...

(cross-posted from Studeo)

I happened to discover this lovely quote from Archbishop Dolan via an article about him in USA Today.
"Maybe the greatest threat to the church is not heresy, not dissent, not secularism, not even moral relativism, but this sanitized, feel-good, boutique, therapeutic spirituality that makes no demands, calls for no sacrifice, asks for no conversion, entails no battle against sin, but only soothes and affirms."
It didn't really sink in until I heard the same quote in the homily at this morning's Mass! Powerful!

2 comments:

ScienceMom said...

Excellent analysis by Archbishop Dolan. And he's moving to NY, isn't he? Your loss is their gain.

This quote reminds me of an observation of Peter Kreeft in How to Win the Culture War (which I review here) that America's largest religion in competition with authentic Christianity is "spirituality" -- which appears to give all the benefits of real religion without any of the difficulties.

Silvia Amador said...

Wonderful quote! It made me think once more, what am I really doing for God? Can I do more? I think we always can, with His help.