Monday, November 07, 2005

Review: Praying in the Presence of Our Lord with Mother Teresa


Praying in the Presence of Our Lord with Mother Teresa
by Susan Conroy

Fr. Benedict J. Groeschel, C.F.R, Series Editor
Our Sunday Visitor

As with the other books in this series, Praying in the Presence of Our Lord with Mother Teresa is meant to be used as a prayer aid during a time of Adoration. I loved this book because it gave me new insights into Mother Teresa herself, as well as new thoughts about prayer, especially, and also love, joy, suffering, poverty and peace.

Each chapter can be read separately during a time of adoration. The book is meditative and insightful. Mother Teresa's goal is to help you draw closer to Jesus though Mary, his mother.

The best part of this book for me, because I have already read many, many books about Mother Teresa, was the meditation in section two on Jesus' words, "I thirst." Just before Mother Teresa died, Pope John Paul II preached a sermon on the thirst of Jesus (this sermon is also included in the book) which Mother Teresa particularly took to heart. After she let the pope's words sink into her soul, she wrote a very important letter to all of her Missionaries of Charity Sisters, Brothers and Fathers. This letter contains a very deep and profound mediation on the meaning of the words "I thirst" and I found them to be very, very moving. I think it describes everything Mother Teresa tried to do with her life, and shows what a saint she was.

No comments: